Wednesday, September 7, 2011

curbed appeal...


houses that pass me,
along the side of the road
peeling in their appeal
too close to the highway
to be lived in, to be loved
have me thinking about a day,
the day, that someone dreamed
and decided to build them;
with a long sloping lawn
where once their cobbled path
eaten by blacktop, used to be;
about the day that they were finished
and where that someone stood
hands on hips exclaiming
“I love it, I really, really love it”
and how for most houses
peeling in their appeal
that very first “I love you”
needs to last a lifetime
because it will be the last one
that they will ever hear…


lucy meskill






1 comment:

  1. such a beautiful poem. You once wrote a poetic comment about one of my pieces. I can't wait to actually meet you at Hunterdon.\bascha

    ReplyDelete